Saturday, July 4, 2009

The beginning of the Turtles

I guess I forgot to write about the first turtle.

I was driving home one day and picked up a box turtle off the road. Yes, it was alive. So, I brought it home to my very excited boys. After they poked at it, pushed it around in a diaper box and put their face real close to it, I put them to bed. Then Mr. Turtle went on the screen porch. The porch is screened in except for the door. The door has slats in it about 4" above the floor. They are space a few inches apart.

After naptime, we went looking for Mr. Turtle and he was nowhere to be found. Had he really climbed up the door, squeezed through the slats, gone down a flight of 3 stairs and continued walking right off the porch, and survived?!

It appears so. He has never been found. The rolled up insulation was a possible suspect for the death of the turtle, but he wasn't in there either.

So, when we first found mr. Snapper, we thought he might be our long lost box turtle. But he wasn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what I was looking for...the rest of the story :) We caught a box turtle last week, kept it for 3 days (under John's care) and then released it into the backyard. He hasn't been seen since. I would've thought, with their indestructible shell, that they would be the perfect toy for young (and old) boys. Alas.

Tiff said...

yes, this was part 1 of the turtle saga. And yes, little box turtles are great for little boys. I figured that if the turtle was that desperate to get out, then he should be free. He earned his freedom!