Monday, August 10, 2009

Watch out CVS!!


Ok. So, you probably know about this couponing thing that I've been talking about. Yes, I was super over-whelmed with it all. I mean, there are good deals to be had at all the grocery stores and drug stores! How do I pick which one?! I don't have time to go to all 10!!! The couponing lady of Southernsavers.com came to Charleston and gave a morning workshop on couponing. It was really helpful to hear the in and out's of it all. I left feeling encouraging and slightly less over-whelmed.


So, I made my list and my transaction scenarios...Then head to CVS with Betsy and Granny Stevens. Are you interested in how I did it??


The Rules:

(1)Have a CVS ExtraCare Bucks card - Free!! Just sign up and you get all the in-store savings.

(2) Make several transactions to minimize out of pocket spending

(3) Buy ALL free items and items that you make a profit on...


Here's what I did:

Transaction #1:

I bought:

(1)Revlon Foundation at $9.99 (CVS gave me $9.99 in CVS money to spend on my next transaction)

(1) Huggies diapers 23 ct at $9.00 (CVS will give me $4 back after I buy 2 diapers)

(2) 4 pack Sharpie highlighters at $.99 each.

I had coupons:

$1 off Revlon

$1.5 off Huggies

$1 off highlighters

$4 off a purchase of $20

$5 CVS Extra Care bucks from a prior transaction

Result: I paid $9.08 on $20.97 of products and got $9.99 in CVS bucks


Transaction #2:

I bought:

(1)Huggies at $9.00

(1) Huggies wipes at $3


Coupons:

$1.5 off Huggies

$.50 off wipes

I used my $9.99 CVS Bucks


Spent $.23 on $12 worth of products and Received $4 back in CVS bucks


Transaction #3: Are you still with me???

I bought:

(1) Airwick freshmatic starter kit at $5.99

(1) Soleil Razor at $6.99


Coupons used:

$6 off Airwick (making that product free)

$3 off Razor

I used a $2 cvs bucks from a prior transaction


I paid $2.96 on $12.98 worth of product and received $3 CVS bucks back from the Soleil Razor


Transaction #4: Anybody there??

I bought:

2 plastic step stools at $2.50 each (seasonal merchandise that was 50% off)


I used $4 in CVS bucks and spent $1.19. Making them $.50 each not incl. tax.


Last Transaction:

Colgate toothepaste at $1.10

(4) VO5 shampoos and conditioner at $.77 each


coupons:

$.75 off Colgate

I used $3 CVS bucks


I spent $.74 on $4.11 worth of product.


I left CVS with no CVS bucks, but I can earn some more next week.


Total Spent:

$14.20 on approximate $55 worth of product and saved $70.


Not bad! See the picture!


P.S. See those backpacks in the picture? They were free when you bought $10 worth of stuff from Office Depot. I had to buy some paper so I got 1 free, then Betsy got 2 for me and Granny got one more for me. So, 4 backpacks for free!

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I know CVS is famous for these types of deals, but I have not tried it yet. Does the cashier look at you like you are crazy when you do so many separate transactions or do you think they are used to it?

Tiff said...

My cashiers have been nice. I organize my transactions and I know what I'm gonna use. My cashier said she doesn't mind doing so many transactions because I was organized and was using my extra care bucks card. She liked it. Definately try it. I ended up paying $2 per pack of diapers, $.01 a diaper. Can't beat that.

Unknown said...

I'm impressed. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Tiff's got Coupon Fever!

Keep posting, lady.

erin w. said...

that's amazing! I wonder if I can do that sort of thing up here! .01 a diaper... seriously!

Tiff said...

I'm sure there's a CVS around where you are Erin. Let me know if you want help getting started..

Candice said...

I definitely want in on this! I am trying to get started with couponing. Does the Southern Savers lady come this far up??

Tiff said...

Candice, I'm not sure how far north she goes, but the principles are the same. You'd just have to do some work on your end:)