Friday, June 19, 2009

Miss Cathy Doesn't Bite....




You never know when a stranger will be helpful or annoying. Yesterday, I was having a hard time getting the boys to the car from VBS. They've been having a great time at VBS, but the second that I pick them up, they are little devils. So, we're not going to the last day of VBS because I need a break from the attitudes. Plus, this weekend we're having a lot of parties with

Ryan's 2nd Birthday Party, Father's Day and Pop Pop Kalman's Birthday. Anyways, we couldn't find Grandma after VBS (She's the director of VBS) so someone else's grandma helped me cross the street and get the boys to the car. Yes, a stranger who saw the need to give some help.

Here's where a stranger isn't helpful: We went to Sam's last night to get food for the party. The boys were doing okay till the last half hour. Alex loves Sam's Club Pizza, so we were sitting down eating. Well, me and Alex were sitting down and the boys were wandering. Ryan has had the worst time post-VBS so he wasn't listening very well. So, this lady in one of those motorized carts decided to sit next to us. She turned around so she was facing our table. My back was to her because I was nursing the baby. She told us she had kids too, but they were 31 and 28. And she had 4 grandchildren and maybe 1 on the way. They were waiting for a positive test. Ryan was giving her the once over while clinging to my leg. Here's how the conversation went:

Miss Kathy (to Ryan): Do you want me to hold you? Do you want me to pat your back while your mommy feeds the baby? (Repeat 10 times).

Each time Ryan hid his face or covered his eyes or whined.

Miss Kathy: Miss Kathy don't bite. Miss Kathy don't bite....Much!

So, at which point do you think a child might not want to sit on your lap?? Instead of being helpful with cranky, wandering children, she probably made my kids terribly skeptical of ladies in motorized carts.

No picture of Miss Kathy here but it would have been nice. She had a rather large red birthmark on her face, which probably didn't help the boys feel comfortable around her, either.

No comments: